Sunday, March 25, 2012

FIGHT BACK AGAINST IDENTITY THEFT


It happened to me once.  While out shopping, someone bumped into me.  I didn’t think much about it until I went to check out and my wallet was missing!  With my heart pounding, I rushed back to the office to cancel all my credit cards and to try to prevent identity theft.  I was lucky.  The only charge was for gas on my fuel credit card before I had reached the company.  My identity remained intact.

But what steps would I have taken if that had not been the end of it?  The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has a four-step plan you should undertake as soon as you suspect fraudulent activity has taken place with your identity.
First, immediately file a fraud alert on all three of the major consumer credit reporting companies.  They are: TransUnion (800-680-7289), Equifax (888-766-0008) and Experian (888-397-3742).  As long as you notify at least one of the companies, it is required to alert the other two.  After the alert has been filed, request a free copy of your credit report from each of the companies.  Review each one thoroughly for any suspicious activity.  If you find any incorrect or fraudulent information, write a letter correcting it.  Continue to monitor your credit history at least annually.
Second, close any accounts that were fraudulently opened or were used or tampered with.  In order to do that, contact the fraud department of the financial institution that issued the credit.  Call and then follow up in writing with proof of the fraud, including any written documentation that supports your claim.
Third, contact your local police department.  The police report can serve as some of the supporting documentation in reporting the fraudulent activity.  Additionally, the details you provide can assist the police in locating the criminal and preventing the same from happening to someone else.
Last, file a complaint with the FTC.  This also provides documentation of the fraud and provides a way for law enforcement around the country to track and catch the thieves.  Contact the FTC on the Identity Theft Hotline at 877-ID-THEFT (877-438-4338).
Identity theft is horrible.  I hope it never happens to you.  But if it does, now you know what to do.

3 comments:

  1. Bank America Card informed me back in Mar. 2011 that their account , ss# etc. had been compromised. They cancelled my account and issued a new credit card with an new account number . All credit bureaus were notified. A fraud alert was placed on all my accounts with all three bureaus.
    Next my 401k company called me to inform me (this was May 2011) that someone in Texas (not my state) tried to open a bank account with the
    Bank America info and my 401k funds--which are impossible to get out --trust me..
    Now I go to efile my 2011 Federal Tax return only to be rejected because someone (IRS told me return was filed in Texas --wonder who) already filed with my SS # --Texas address--requesting quite a large refund...What an ordeal ..after the police report--contact with IRs .. filling out form 40...something or other ..contacting all three credit bureaus again..adding more protection on my personal computer.. contacting the fraud department of SS..and The FTC fraud department ... I am about ready to pull out my hair!! Good news ..after I do all the above and mail in my return my refund will probably arrive sometime in 2013. Thank you Bank America!! I closed my accounts. (And all I ever did with them was pay my credit card on line on their so called "secured website." One of your Facebook friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't identity theft horrible? Everyone please be careful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Follow up is the key. What you did is a smart way to prevent further usage of your identity. Follow up with companies and agencies that you have contacted to guarantee that their investigations resulted in your favor.

    Annie Valdez

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment! I want to know what YOU are thinking.